Registered Nurse Certification in Alabama
Registered nurse certification in Alabama helps students in enhancing their abilities and making them master in the clinical practice. With the increasing demand for healthcare services, it comes as no surprise that nursing is becoming one of the most desirable professions among the aspirants across the country. The RN license in Alabama is issued by the Alabama Board of Nursing.
Eligibility Criteria to Obtain RN Certification
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
The candidates applying for registered nurse licensure are required to fulfil all the eligibility conditions necessitate by their state, such as:
- The applicant should have to successfully complete the state-approved registered nurse program, like bachelor, associate or diploma course.
- Candidates are ought to clear the NCLEX-RN exam.
- Aspirants are required to deposit application fees of $85.
- The proof of citizenship/legal presence should be presented by the students.
- The candidates also need to undergo continuing education of 24 contact hours every 2 years.
Procedure of RN Certification
The step-by-step process for getting the nursing license is as follows:
- The initial step is to choose any of the three courses (bachelor, associate or diploma) and enrol into a state-recognized nursing school.
- The next step is to qualify the NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination – Registered Nurses) with at least 70% marks.
- The final step is to fulfil the state requirements and submit an application in order to possess an RN license.
General Requirements for Renewal of an RN Certification
You need to submit an application for licensure by Endorsement if you’re licensed in another state and want to obtain certification in Alabama. But, before this, you are expected to complete the following requisites:
- Complete Endorsement Application : The nurses are responsible to complete and deposit the Endorsement application.
- Renewal Fees : The required amount of fees should be deposited at the time of submission of the application form.
- Verifying the Licensure : Your licensure should be verified and mailed to the Alabama Board of Nursing by your original Board of Nursing. Remember, a copy of your certification will not be considered as verification, only original verification will be accepted. In case, you have obtained the original licensure from Arizona, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Connecticut, Delaware, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Idaho, Kentucky, Iowa, Indiana or Louisiana, you can order your license verification from the following link:www.nursys.com.
- Transcript from Nursing School : An official transcript is required to be mailed in a sealed envelope to the Alabama Board of Nursing from your school of nursing. Transcripts sent through fax will not be accepted.
- CE (Continuing Education) Requirements : Submit certificates of completion of continuing education of 24 contact hours, which must not be older than 24 months from the date the Board receives your application, either through fax or mail. You are ought to acquire contact hours through home study, internet, intranet, workshops, classroom, web casts, continuing education journals, seminars and pod casts.
- Proof of Lawful Presence in the U.S. or U.S. Citizenship : The applicants are required to submit the proof of the United States citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S. before issuing of a temporary license by the Alabama Board of Nursing. For this, fill the form for Non-Citizen/Lawful Presence or U.S. Citizenship, and fax, mail or email it along with a checklist and documents.The checklist can be downloaded from U.S. Citizen Checklist or Not a U.S. Citizen Checklist
Reinstatement of a Lapsed License
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If you already possess an Alabama nursing license, but it is currently lapsed, you need to reinstate it before resuming your job. The following are the requirements to reinstate the lapsed license:
- Complete 24 contact hours of continuing education (CE) in the last 24 months.
- Provide copies of CE certificates and other necessary documents.
- Submit proof of US citizenship.
- Pay the reinstatement fee of $225.
- Complete online application by clicking on the following link:
Reinstatement of the Revoked License
The revocation of one’s RN license is deemed as a serious matter. The revoked license can be reinstated only if you provide substantial evidence to the Board. However, the Board considers the following issues:
- The nature of the NPA (Nurse Practice Act) violation, which resulted in the denial or loss of the certificate;
- Whether there are chances of reoccurrence of the factors that resulted in the denial or loss of the license;
- Whether the applicant is competent enough to carry his/her career carefully and in compliance with the requirements that govern such practice;
- The time duration since denial/revocation/relinquishment;
- Whether reinstatement is in the favour of public security;
- Continuing education
- Proof of rehabilitation
For knowing in detail about the requirements, visit http://www.abn.alabama.gov/Content.aspx?id=267
Application and all other essential materials related to re-licensure of revoked license can be downloaded from http://www.abn.alabama.gov/Content.aspx?id=268
Methods of Renewing Registered Nurse Licensure in AL
The RN License can be renewed using the following methods:
- By Mail : The complete Endorsement application can be posted to the following mailing address:
P.O. Box 303900
Montgomery, Alabama- 36130-3900
- In Person : You can visit the Head office and complete the formalities keeping in mind the office hours.
Address: RSA Plaza, Street 250, 770 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama- 36104
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
- Online : You must have your Social Security Number (SSN) for online renewal of the certificate. You can use the following link for applying online:https://www.abn.alabama.gov/abnonline/ABNOnline_Endorsement.aspx
Endorsement Status Check
The application status for your licensure application by endorsement can be checked using the below given link:
Verification of RN License
For verification of your registered nurse license, you need your License Number and Social Security Number. Here is the link for verifying your certificate:
The Alabama Board of Nursing has recently initiated “group online license verification subscription service”, the details of which can be read at : http://www.abn.alabama.gov/Content.aspx?id=169
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
How to Get Duplicate License?
In case, you lost your original license, you can request for a duplicate one using the below link. The Alabama Board of Nursing will deliver it in approximately 14 days.