Registered nurse certification in Kansas offers a varied number of financial as well as career benefits to the nurses, which include secured job, flexible work schedule, high salary package, career flexibility, mental satisfaction and numerous fringe benefits comprising paid holidays, sick leaves, and paid time-off. The certification in the state is issued by the Kansas State Board of Nursing.
Requirements for Getting RN Certification
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
All applicants must meet the following requisites for the sake of obtaining registered nurse license in the state:
- Submit application fee of $75 in the form of money order, personal check, or cashier’s check made payable to the “Kansas State Board of Nursing.”
- If you have ever been found guilty of a misconduct or/and misdemeanor, submit specific dated/certified copies of court papers for each conviction.
- Complete criminal background check.
- Submit an explanatory letter relating each and every conviction or/and disciplinary and administrative action. The letter must include the following details in brief:
- Date of the unlawful crime or disciplinary/administrative act;
- Circumstances that led to the arrest or administrative/disciplinary action;
- Genuine conviction or disciplinary/administrative act;
- Actual verdict or board regulatory agency order;
- Present status of order or sentence, and
- Rehabilitation (if any)
- If you have ever been disciplined by any governmental agency or Board, you must provide a dated/certified copy of that particular Board order or disciplinary/administrative act.
- Provide an official transcript indicating successful completion of the nursing education program. The transcript must be sent directly by the registrar/school to the Kansas Board of Nursing.
In addition to the above requirements, applicants who are applying for licensure by examination must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Complete graduation from a Board approved nursing school in the U.S. states or territories or from a nursing school in a foreign country. The education program must include clinical experience.
- Obtained license in another jurisdiction by passing the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) or the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE).
- Provide verification of license sent directly from your original state of licensure to the Kansas Board. If your state of licensure uses NURSYS, then you can verify your license using www.nursys.com. Else, fill the upper part of the endorsement verification form and forward it to your original state of licensure.
If you have completed your graduation from a nursing educational program outside the United States, then you must meet the following requisites:
- Successfully complete graduation from a professional nursing school that is accredited by the board.
- Have official education transcripts as well as nursing license evaluated by an authorized Credentialing Agency and request them to send the report directly to the Kansas State Board of Nursing. The authorized credentialing agency evaluates registration plus education credentials of the applicant in order to verify that s/he is a first-level general nurse and simultaneously meets all the registration requirements needed to be a part of that profession.
- Provide a CGFNS (Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools) Professional Report.Contact the CGFNS at:Credentials Evaluation Service
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19104-2651
Web site: http://www.cgfns.org
- If your native language is not English or if you completed your nursing education in a language other than English, you are required to show English proficiency by passing the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam. The minimum passing scores required are:
- Writing – 20
- Speaking – 20
- Reading – 19
- Listening – 20Request the TOEFL to send the results directly to the Kansas State Board of Nursing with the code number 9149 in the reporting list of the results.Contact the TOEFL at: TOEFL Publications
P. O. Box 6154
Princeton, New Jersey- 08541-6154.
- Pass the NCLEX-RN exam. If you have passed the NCLEX exam in another state, then complete the endorsement application.
Procedure to Obtain RN License by Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Follow the below procedure to obtain RN certification in Kansas:
Step 1: Complete the licensure application by downloading it from the below link:
After opening the link, click on “Initial License” under Examinations and Foreign Applications column.
Step 2: Go through the instructions mentioned on the form.
Step 3: Mail the completed licensure application along with the required fees to the following address:
Kansas State Board of Nursing
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson, Suite- 1051
Topeka, Kansas- 66612-1230
Step 4: Register yourself with the testing organization, Pearson Professional Testing, to take the licensure examination, NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses). Submit registration fee of $200 by MasterCard, Visa Card or American Express (while applying online), or via money order or cashier’s checks made payable to the NCSBN (while using paper application).
You may use any one of the below given methods to complete the registration process:
- Online at:www.pearsonvue.com/nclex Click on “Register” option after opening the above link.
- By mail:You may ask the Board of Nursing office to mail you a NCLEX registration form. After finishing the necessary details of the form, submit it to the following address:NCLEX Operations
Post Office Box 64950,
St. Paul, Minnesota- 55164-0950.
Step 5: Request your nursing school to forward official transcript(s) to the Board immediately after the degree is posted.
Step 6: As soon as the official transcripts are received by the Board, it will verify for the registration with the Pearson VUE.
Step 7: Pearson VUE will send an ATT (Authorization to Test) via email or mail including the phone numbers of different testing centers.
Step 8: Schedule an appointment to take the licensure exam.
Step 9: Take the exam.
Step 10: If you qualify the exam and meet all the requirements, RN certificate will be issued.
Procedure to Obtain RN License by Endorsement
- Download the endorsement application using the following link:http://www.ksbn.org/forms/forms.htmAfter opening the link, click on “Endorsement Application (All Professions)” under “Endorsement from another state” column.
- Carefully read the instructions provided in the application form.
- You may submit an application for a 120-day temporary permit, if you meet all the requirements.
- Submit the application as well as required fee to the Kansas Board of Nursing.
Verification of Licensure in Kansas
To verify your RN license, you may use any one of the following methods:
- Online at:https://www.kansas.gov/ksbn-verifications/search/records?execution=e1s1
- By mail:Download the written application using the following link: http://www.ksbn.org/forms/forms.htm After opening the link, click on “Endorsement Verification Form (All Professions)” under “Endorsement from another state” column.A fee of $1.50 per license number is charged for every written request. If you are submitting the application by fax then an additional fee of $0.50 is charged per transaction.Submit the verification request to:
Kansas State Board of Nursing
Attn: License Verification
900 SW Jackson, Suite 1051
Topeka, Kansas- 66612
Renewal of RN License in KS
Registered nurse licensure in Kansas remains valid for 2 years. To renew it, aspirants are required to complete 30 contact hours of continuing education in a specified renewal cycle.
- Online Use the following procedure to renew online:
- Log on to www.ksbn.org
- If you don’t have User ID and Password, you need to register before beginning the renewal process.
- After logging in, click on Online License Renewals and follow the directions mentioned on the screen.
- After filling the details, pay the renewal fees online using a checking account or credit card.
- By mailClick on the following link to download the renewal application:http://www.ksbn.org/forms/forms.htm After opening the link, click on “License Renewal Application” under Renewal of Current Kansas License column. After filling it, forward it to the Board office.
Reinstatement of RN License
To reinstate your RN license with or without temporary permit, download the reinstatement application from the following link:
After opening the link, click on “License Reinstatement Application” under Reinstatement of previous Kansas license column.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
To request for a duplicate license, click on the below link:
After opening the link, click on “Duplicate License Affidavit” under Miscellaneous Licensing column.
Check Application Status
To check the status of your submitted application, click on the following link:
After opening the link, click on Check Status of Application under Online Services column.
Use the following link to view the complete fee structure: