Are Online RN Classes Right for You?
Online RN classes include coursework and curriculum, which helps the aspirants to gain knowledge to become a registered nurse. The non-clinical segment of the coursework is provided online. You can take the clinical training at your own at a nearby medical centre. This permits the aspirants to appear for the NCLEX-RN, the examination for the registered nurse licensure in the United States. There are many universities which offer a combination of both on-campus and online training. If you want to become a registered nurse, first of all you have to gain an associate or bachelor degree online. After this, you are supposed to pass the licensure exam and complete the formalities and documentations. You will also have to attain some experience while working in an acute healthcare setting.
Requirements for an Online Nursing Degree
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
First of all, you should check and search the best online schools of nursing and after this, you must complete the requisites mentioned here, to get enrolled for the BSN program.
- Appear for ACT or SAT exam.
- The minimum GPAs fluctuate from 2.0 to 3.25 which can vary as per the school.
- It’s compulsory to study English for 4 year in high school.
- Study foreign language for 2 years in high school.
- It’s mandatory to study math, including geometry and algebra II, for 3 years in high school.
- Students must study science, including biology and chemistry, for 3 years in high school.
MSN, RN-to-MSN and RN-to-BSN programs have these formalities to be completed.
- The candidate must be graduated from a nursing school recognized by the National League of Nursing (NLN).
- You are ought to possess a current RN nursing license.
- Depending on the institute, the GPAs may range from 2.5 to 3.0.
Advantages of Online Nursing Programs
- This program is best suitable for all those working nurses, who don’t have time to pursue further on-campus education.
- The choice of RN online program permits these nurses to receive an advanced degree at home, and they are able to complete their course as per their convenience.
- This helps them to save traveling cost, as well as any other petty expenses. Also, a huge amount of time is saved for those, who live very far from the colleges.
- They are given flexible learning schedules; therefore, they don’t have to compromise their job or employment for the course.
- You can access class notes and downloadable modules 24×7.
- Online classes are student-friendly and interactive. You can post your views, upload your assignments and participate in discussions.
- You can ask questions from your instructor without any hesitation.
- Many recognized schools also make arrangements for clinical internships under the guidance of professional nurses.
Disadvantages of Online RN Classes
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
- The major demerit of this program is the lack of interaction. There are certain things, which can’t be done due to the online aspect of this course.
- A large number of schools in the U.S. offer online registered nurse training. Hunting a recognized school in itself is a big challenge.
- One more disadvantage is the lack of help required at any point of time. The tutors reply after days or weeks to the queries placed online.
- The lack of suitable clinical practice and effectiveness of the coursework are certain points of concern in online classes.
- As these classes cover only the theoretical aspect of nursing, you are required to travel to acquire practical knowledge.
- It’s very difficult to have adequate dedication to the curriculum if you are pursuing an online education.
- Lack of accreditation and inadequate clinical experience are some of the reasons of high failure rate of the nursing students. This has put a big question on the integrity of the online courses.
Difference between On-Campus and Online Education
- Students, who choose online RN programs, generally do not have the chance to have any form of face-to-face interaction with the instructors and classmates. All the communication takes place through email or done by online discussions. On the other hand, students, who take on-campus education, have the advantage of receiving instructor’s lectures and also, they can solve their queries and problems.
- In the traditional nursing programs, it is compulsion for the students to attend classes, which means that they have to go to the college regularly regardless of their employment. But, in case of online course, students can manage their learning schedule along with the job.
- In an online program, there is great emphasis on participation, which means that everyone becomes part of these discussions by posting their views and outlook, whereas, in the case of on-campus education, they are judged on the basis of grades and class exam papers.
- Traditional campus classes offer you slightly different resources than that of on-line classes.
- In comparison to on-campus programs, online courses are flexible and less expensive.
Key Points for Successful Pursuance of Registered Nurse Courses Online
Online education can be very rewarding for all the aspirants, who want to pursue a career in the field of nursing. But, it is very important that the students work hard in the right direction to successfully completely the course. Some significant things to keep in mind while pursuing an online course are-
- It is very essential that the individual is organized and systematic. An online student should plan up his schedule in advance to eliminate any form of delays or hassles. They should arrange everything properly, including the study material and time-table.
- There shouldn’t be any form of hesitation to communicate with the professors and fellow students through email. Email is the only medium to interact and ask questions and clear queries or doubts.
- Self-motivation is the key to a successful online course. They need to be disciplined and punctual. The students should have positive thinking and should finish their coursework on time.
- The aspirant should possess the quality to work on their own without any help or direction from the professors. This will help him in gaining better understanding of the course.
- The online courses require many equipments and devices, such as books, computer, internet, and access to online classes. It is mandatory that the students have complete access to these things to complete their course.
- It is important that you give right and adequate amount of time to these courses. There are times when the students faces extra load, but one has to adjust and perform every task with precision.
Institutes Offering RN Classes Online
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
In the United States, there are a considerable number of colleges that provide accredited RN online programs. They are:
1. Mercy College
Address: 2221 Madison Avenue, Toledo, Ohio- 43604
Contact number: 419-251-1313
Official website: http://www.mercycollege.edu/
2. Capella University
Address: Capella Tower, 225 South 6th Street, 9th Floor, Minneapolis, Minnesota- 55402
Contact number: 1-612-339-8650
Official website: http://www.capella.edu/
3. Graceland University
Address: 1 University Pl, Lamoni, Iowa- 50140
Contact number: +1 641-784-5000
Official website: http://www.graceland.edu/
4. Jacksonville University
Address: 2800 University Boulevard North, Jacksonville, Florida- 32211
Contact number: 800-225-2027
Official website: http://www.ju.edu/
5. Keiser University
Address: 1500 Northwest 49th Street, Fort Lauderdale, Florida- 33309
Contact number: 888-534-7379
Official website: http://www.keiseruniversity.edu/
6. Liberty University
Address: 1971 University Boulevard, Lynchburg, Virginia- 24515
Contact number: (434) 582-2000
Official website: http://www.liberty.edu/
7. Norwich University
Address: 158 Harmon Drive, Northfield, Vermont- 05663
Contact number: 802-485-2000
Official website: http://www.norwich.edu/
8. Post University
Address: 800 Country Club Road, P.O. Box 2540, Waterbury, Connecticut- 06723
Contact number: 800-345-2562
Official website: http://www.post.edu/
9. Winston-Salem State University
Address: 601 South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Winston-Salem, North Carolina- 27110
Contact number: +1 336-750-2000
Official website: http://www.wssu.edu/
10. Thomas Edison State College
Address: 101 West State Street, Trenton, New Jersey- 08608
Contact number: +1-888-442-8372
Official website: http://www.tesc.edu/
11.University Of Cincinnati
Address: 2600 Clifton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio- 45220
Contact number: +1-513-556-6000
Official website: http://www.uc.edu/
12. Walden University
Address: Walden University, 100 Washington Avenue South, Suite 900, Minneapolis, Minnesota- 55401
Contact number: 1-866-492-5336
Official website: http://www.waldenu.edu/
13. West Virginia University
Address: Morgantown, West Virginia- 26506
Contact number: +1 304-293-0111
Official website: http://www.wvu.edu/
14. Western Governors University
Address: Salt Lake City, Utah- 84107
Contact number: +1-801-274-3280
Official website: http://www.wgu.edu/