Registered Nurse Certification in Florida
The registered nurse certification in Florida is issued by the Florida Board of Nursing. RN certification signifies your expertise and proficiency. It enhances the skills, knowledge, abilities, and boosts the earning power of the nurses. Here is the complete information on how you can earn the RN licensure and how to renew it. Keep reading.
Requirements to Obtain RN License
The applicants can choose either of the two methods to obtain their RN license.
1. By Examination : The requirements to get licensure by examination are:
- Successfully complete graduation from Florida approved nursing education program.
- Complete graduation from Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or an Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) recognized nursing program, which has been issued an NCLEX code by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Successfully finish graduation from a military nursing program that has been provided an NCLEX code by the NCSBN.
- Candidates graduated from a non-NCSBN jurisdiction, i.e. international nursing education program, or Puerto Rico that board considers equal to a recognized program (International Grads/NON-NCSBN), Haitian nationals need to follow particular procedures to sit for the exam.
- Aspirants, who took CNATS (Canadian Nurses Association Testing Service) exam after August 8, 1995, are supposed to appear for the NCLEX-RN exam if they are not licensed in another U.S. state or territory. If their test scores are acceptable, they may be considered eligible for endorsement.
2. By Endorsement : The requirements for licensure by endorsement are:
- Hold a valid current license in another U.S. state or territory.
- Successfully complete the NCLEX or SBTPE (State Board Test Pool Examination)
- Practice nursing in another United State’s jurisdiction, state, or territory for past 2 years. During this period, your license shouldn’t be acted against by the certification authority of any jurisdiction.
Procedure to Acquire RN License
1. By Examination
- You can apply for your registered nurse license by examination either through mail or online.
- Online : Create your account via the following link and submit your licensure application online.https://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/DOHInitialApp/CreateAccount.aspx?Board=8017OR
- Mail : Download the form using the following link. Send it after completing to the address mentioned on the upper left side of the form.http://floridasnursing.gov/applications/lpn-rn-exam-app.pdf
- Submit an appropriate fee of $175.00 as ‘Application and Licensing Fee’ made payable to the Board of Nursing, and $200.00 made payable to Pearson VUE.
- Register yourself with the testing vendor, Pearson VUE.
- Schedule an electronic fingerprint appointment with the LiveScan service provider.
- Submit your fingerprints.
- After the submission of all the requisite stuffs, they will be renewed by an application specialist, and you may be requested for additional information.
- If all the requirements are met, an ‘eligibility letter’ will be received by you. All the registration instructions with Pearson VUE will be included in the letter.
- Take and pass the licensure exam.
- After passing the exam, the initial certificate will be issued to you within 7-10 business days.
2. By Endorsement : The guidelines for obtaining license by endorsement are given below:
- You can apply for RN certificate by endorsement either online or via mail.
- Online : Here’s the link for online application.https://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/DOHInitialApp/CreateAccount.aspx?Board=8017OR
- Mail : Download the form using the following link, and after filling it, send to the address mentioned on the upper left side of the form:http://floridasnursing.gov/applications/lpn-rn-endorse-app.pdf
- Submit a fee of $175.00 as ‘Application and Licensing Fee’ made payable to the Board of Nursing.
- Arrange an electronic fingerprint appointment with the LiveScan service provider and submit the fingerprints.
- Contact and request the licensing board of the state from where you acquired your initial license, to send the verification to the Florida Board of Nursing.
- Once submitted, all the materials will be reviewed by an application specialist, who may ask for for additional information.
- The license will be issued on meeting all the requirements.
Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.Show Me Schools!
The applicants applying for RN certification in Florida by endorsement are required to submit license verification to the Florida Board of Nursing. For verification, the candidate may use any of the following options:
- Nursys’ Verification : The following site provides the facility of online verification.https://www.nursys.com/
- Online License Verification Services : Alternatively, you can also use the following link to verify your license:http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/IRM00PRAES/PRASLIST.ASP
- Mail : The applicants may download the verification form using the following link:http://floridasnursing.gov/forms/nurse-lic-ver-request-info.pdfNote: Open this form only in Internet Explorer.Complete the details of the form and mail it to:
Florida Board of Nursing
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Bin # C02
Tallahassee, Florida- 32399-3252
Renewal of Registered Nurse License
All licensees in Florida are required to renew their RN license in every two years to continue their nursing practice.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements for Renewal
- 22 general hours of CE approved by a state or national organization
- One contact hour of CE on HIV/AIDS
- Two contacts hour of continuing education on prevention of medical errors
- Two contact hours of CE on domestic violence
- Two contact hours of CE on laws and rules
Before renewing the certificate online, the applicant must keep the following things in mind:
- You must have a debit/credit card to complete the transaction.
- The candidate does not need to change the license’s status.
- If the aspirant is renewing his/her license after the expiration date and the status indicates ‘Clear/Inactive’ or ‘Clear/Active’, a delinquency fee will be added with your renewal fee.
- Before the renewal deadline, if your license was “Delinquent, Inactive” or “Delinquent, Active”, then after the renewal deadline, it will move to “Null and Void” status. Therefore, you must contact your Board office for instructions.
The applicant can renew the certificate by mail if:
- You need to change the license’s status.
- The applicant wishes to pay by money order or cheque and do not have a debit/credit card to complete the transaction.
- The candidate’s license is in ‘Active, Military’ status.
- The aspirant needs to change the license’s name.
The applicants can renew their RN license using the following procedure:
- Click on the below link:https://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/mqaservices/login.asp?mult=&pass=Y&Procde=1701
- Enter your User ID and password that were mailed with your physical license.
- After signing in, click “Renew License” provided on the left hand side of the page.
The fee structure for renewing your license before it expires is:
|Active to Active||$80.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$65.00|
|Active to Inactive||$65.00|
|Inactive to Active||$135.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
The fee structure for renewing your license after it expires is:
|Active to Active||$135.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$120.00|
|Active to Inactive||$175.00|
|Inactive to Active||$245.00|
|Active to Retired||$165.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$165.00|
The fee structure for renewing your license 120 day Notified Delinquent is:
|Active to Active||$225.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$185.00|
|Active to Inactive||$185.00|
|Inactive to Active||$280.00|
|Active to Retired||$200.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$175.00|
The applicants may use the following link to check the status of their application:https://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/mqaservices/login.asp?mult=&pass=Y
Note: Use the User ID and password sent to you by mail with your initial physical license.
Retired Volunteer Nurse Application
Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.Show Me Schools!
The nurses, who have retired or plan to retire and desire to serve for the betterment of Florida’s population, may apply for a retired volunteer nurse certification. For this, the applicants must complete the below requirements:
- Submit duly filled application.
- Provide verification that you have been certified to practice nursing in any US jurisdiction minimum for 10 years. If you’re certified in other state, provide license verification confirming 10 years of practice.
- The applicant must fulfill all the CE requirements.
- Has not committed any crime.
- The applicants need to provide their fingerprints to the Board.
The application form can be downloaded using the following link:
Mail the application form and fee to:
Department of Health
Board of Nursing
Post Office Box 6330
Tallahassee, Florida- 32314-6330
You May Want to Read: