All nurses who have completed their registered nurse certification in West Virginia serve as one of the most vital elements in the health care system. The certification is provided by the West Virginia RN Board, which works towards protecting and promoting welfare, safety and public health by regulating certified professional nurses. Licensure serves as the validation of demonstrated skills, experience and knowledge of RNs.
Requirements for Obtaining RN Licensure in West Virginia
All candidates applying for RN licensure by examination in the state of West Virginia are required to meet the following education requirements:
- Submit the requisite non-refundable fee of $70.00 via cashier’s check or money order.
- Submit test service application. You are supposed to complete this application online via this link:
- Complete criminal background check.
- Provide your U.S. social security number.
- If you have not completed your graduation from high school, you must submit General Education Development (GED) certificate indicating the test date.
- Attach identification photograph (passport type) in the application form.
Each candidate applying for licensure by endorsement must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Complete the application form for licensure by endorsement and sign the affidavit in front of a notary public with a seal.
- Attach a colored 2″ x 2″ passport type photograph and sign it across the face on the bottom of the photo.
- Submit a $100 fee in the form of certified check or money order made payable to the “West Virginia Board of RN’s.”
- Complete the upper part of the “Nursing Endorsement Verification Form” and submit it to the Board office of that state where you were originally certified. You are suggested to call your original state of licensure before mailing this form, to know, if they charge any fees for this service. You may download this form using the following link:
Alternatively, you may also use the Nursys website, www.nursys.com if your state uses this website.
- If you are going to apply for a temporary permit, you must submit an additional fee of $25 to the Board.
Procedure to Obtain RN License
The step-by-step procedure to obtain RN licensure in the state is:
Step 1: Download the licensure exam application using the following link:
Step 2: Carefully read the instructions mentioned in the form and fill it completely.
Step 3: Mail the application with the required fees to the following address:
West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses
101 Dee Drive, Suite 102
Charleston, West Virginia- 25311-1620
Step 4: Get yourself enrolled with the testing organization, Pearson VUE, in order to take the licensure exam. Applicants may use any of the following methods to register:
- Via internet: www.pearsonvue.com/nclexAfter opening the link, choose “Register” option. You may pay the registration fee of $200 using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- By mail:You may contact the Board of Nursing office and request them to send an NCLEX registration form. Fill the form and submit it along with a money order or cashier’s check of $200.0 made payable to the NCSBN and mail it to the following address:NCLEX Operations
Post Office Box 64950,
St. Paul, Minnesota- 55164-0950.
Step 5: Upon approval of your essential documents, the Board will inform the Pearson VUE, making you entitled to take the exam.
Step 6: After receiving the notification, the Pearson VUE will send you an ATT (Authorization to Test) via email or on the address mentioned by you during the registration procedure.
Step 7: Once you acquire the ATT, schedule and take the test by contacting the Pearson VUE.
Step 8: The results will be disclosed to you 4 weeks after giving the exam.
All candidates applying for RN licensure by endorsement must follow the below procedure:
- Complete the endorsement application form. Download the PDF format of the form using the following link:
- While filling up the form, keep in mind the instructions mentioned in it.
- Mail the completed application to the address of Board office mentioned in step 3 of procedure to obtain RN license by endorsement.
Renewal of RN License
Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.Show Me Schools!
All RN licenses in West Virginia expire on October 31st every year. In order to renew licenses, nurses are required to complete 12 contact hours of continuing education, which may be accomplished using any one of the following ways:
- 12 contact hours from continuing education provider approved by the Board; or
- 6 contact hours from any CE provider approved by the Board, which includes two (2) contact hours of self-study and any 1 of the following within the specified time period:
- National certification received initially or throughout the entire reporting period; or
- Complete at least one nursing research project as principal investigator, project director, or co-investigator; or
- Publish an article related to nursing in a national healthcare or nursing journal; or
- Develop and present a professional presentation which must be related to nursing education; or
- Contribute as a clinical preceptor for at least one new employee or one student undergoing orientation and have 120 hours of one-on-one correspondence as a clinical preceptor during the specified reporting period; or
- Proof of assessment of employment covering a minimum of six (6) months of the reporting period; or
- Complete re-entry or refresher course in nursing field which must be approved by the Board.
You may use the following link to renew your West Virginia license online:
Reinstatement of a Lapsed/Inactive RN Licensure
All applicants are required to submit a fee of $115 for a lapsed license and $25 for an inactive license, in order to change the license status as active.
To reinstate RN licenses, applicants may use any one of the following methods:
- By mail
Applicants may also download the reinstatement application in PDF format using the following link:
http://www.wvrnboard.com/images/REINSTATEMENT%2011.25.2013.pdfSend the completely filled application to the Board office address mentioned above (Refer step 3 of procedure to obtain RN license by examination).
To verify your RN license in West Virginia, you may use any of the following online methods:
- West Virginia RN Board
- Nursys website
To get a duplicate license, you may download the form using the following link:
Mail it to the Board office with the requisite fees.