Registered nurse certification in Wyoming is issued by the Wyoming State Board of Nursing, which serves to safeguard the people of the state by regulating nurse education and practice. It provides the climate, collaboration, and regulatory framework; and acknowledges the dynamic nature of healthcare among its nurses.
Requirements for acquiring RN Licensure in Wyoming
All aspirants who are applying for Wyoming license by examination need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit the application form after filling the essential information.
- Successfully completed his/her graduation from any state recognized nursing program.
- Have no criminal background record against him/her. If you have committed any action, submit the required documents to the Board.
- Provide copy of your U.S. SSN (Social Security Number).
- Submit documents verifying your lawful presence in the State. You may provide your:
- Driving license or
- Passport or
- Birth certificate or
- Certificate of Naturalization or
- Certificate of Citizenship, INS Form I-551 or
- Other document verifying lawful admittance in the U.S.
- Upon receiving the application form and fees, the Board will send you the fingerprint cards. Return the completed fingerprint cards to the address specified on the envelope. If you already possess fingerprint cards, you may attach it with your application form.
- Provide official transcripts from your nursing school including type of degree or certificate conferred, date of graduation, and displaying the seal of your nursing school.
If you are holding an RN license in another state, or territory, you may apply for certification in Wyoming, provided you fulfill the below mentioned requirements:
- The requirements for endorsement are same as the first six (I-VI) requirements mentioned above in the section Requirements for acquiring RN licensure by examination.
- Submit proof of your current license in another state including the expiration date of the license.
- Submit verification of your license from the state in which you were initially licensed.
- Meet any one of the following competency requirements:
- Completed at least 500 hours as an RN in the last 2 years.
- Completed at least 1600 hours as an RN in the last 5 years.
- Submit proof in the form of official certificates or transcripts verifying completion of 20 contact hours of continuing education, in the last 2 years.
- Submit proof in the form of official certificates or transcripts verifying completion of an RN refresher course, in the last 5 years.
- Submit verification of national certification verifying the attainment of certification in a specialty area of nursing practice by a nationally recognized accrediting agency in the last five 5 years.
- Passed the licensing exam, NCLEX-RN within the last 5 years.
- Completed at least 500 hours as an RN in the last 2 years.
Procedure to Obtain RN License
The RN license can be obtained using the following steps:
Download the application form using the below link:
Carefully read all the instructions mentioned on the form.
The applicable fee of $180 (application fee of $130 and fingerprint card fee of $60) submitted in the form of Cashier’s Check, Money Order, VISA, MasterCard or Discover made payable to the “Wyoming State Board of Nursing”.
Register with the testing service, Pearson VUE. You may use the below link:
You may apply for a temporary license (90 days validity), if the following requirements are fulfilled:
- Submit the application with the essential details.
- Pay the required fee.
- Submit official transcript.
- Put a check on the temporary permit box in the application box.
Submit the application form with the required documents to the following address:
Wyoming State Board of Nursing
130 Hobbs Avenue – Suite B
Cheyenne, Wyoming- 82002
Upon approval of your application and documents, the Pearson VUE will send you an ATT (Authorization to Test).
Upon receiving the ATT, schedule and take the exam.
The exam results will be mailed to you.
The procedure for obtaining RN license by endorsement is:
- Download and complete the application form using the following link:
- Submit an appropriate fee of $195 which includes application fee of $135 and $60 fingerprints fee. You may pay in the form of cashier’s check, money order, MasterCard, VISA, or Discover made payable to the “Wyoming State Board of Nursing”. An additional fee of $5 is charged, if you pay the fee using VISA, MasterCard or Discover.
- You may apply for a temporary permit (valid for 90 days), if you fulfill the following requirements:
- Provide proof of holding a current license in another state or territory.
- Submit completed application with the required fee.
- Put a tick/check in the temporary permit option mentioned in the application form.
- Submit the application form and required documents to the head office address mentioned above (step 6 of procedure to obtain RN license by examination).
Verification of RN License
Use the following link to verify license online. You may use either your name or license number to search for the licensure status.
Reactivation/Relicensure of RN License
You may apply for reactivation of your license, if you meet the following requirements:
- Submit appropriate fee mentioned in the application form by cashier’s check, money order, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard.
- Provide proof of continued competency to start practicing again.
- Free from all forms of acts which are grounds of disciplinary action.
- Provide evidence verifying your lawful presence in the United States. (You may view the documents listed in point number V of Requirements for acquiring RN Licensure by examination).
- Provide copy of documents verifying completion of at least one of the competency requirements (See point number IV of section Requirements for acquiring RN Licensure by endorsement to view the list of competency requirements).
- If required, you may need to submit fingerprint cards and mental/physical examination documents.
Download the reactivation form using the following link:
Note: Read the instructions mentioned in the form carefully.
Renewal of RN License
All RN licenses in Wyoming expire every two years. The renewal competency requirements are mentioned in point number IV of section Requirements for acquiring RN Licensure by endorsement.
You may renew your license online using the following link:
Before renewing your license, please read the instructions below:
- Your license expires on December 31 every 2 years. If you renew it after the specified date, a late fee of $35 will be charged. If you do not renew your license till March 31, you will be required to submit a fresh application.
- If you wish to keep your license on an inactive status, you are required to complete the renewal form and submit the inactive fee of $30. The form may be downloaded from the below link:
- The renewal fee is $110.
- This fee can be paid by VISA, MasterCard, or Discover with an additional processing fee of $5.
- Name change affidavit must be submitted by mail. You can download the form using the following link:
Reinstatement of RN License
In case of conditioned, surrendered, suspended, or revoked certificates, the applicants may apply for reinstatement of their RN license. The requirements to reinstate an RN license are:
- Provide appropriate fee as mentioned in the reinstatement form.
- Submit required documents verifying completion of at least one of the competency requirement (as mentioned in point number IV of requirements for acquiring RN Licensure by endorsement.
- If applicable, provide documents verifying particular requirements ordered by the Board like requirements indicated for compliance with conditions, reinstatement, or other terms.
- Submit documents verifying the requirement for “good cause”. For example: you may provide professional letters of support or recommendations, additional activities or opportunities to obtain employment.
- You may be required to submit fingerprint cards and mental/physical examination documents.
- Any changes in the telephone, address, or email must be submitted with the form to the Board.
Download the reinstatement form using the following link:
RN License by Re-Examination
To apply for RN license by re-examination, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Download the form using the below link:
- Submit total fee of $190 which includes re-exam fee of $130 and $60 criminal background check fee in the form of cashier’s check, money order, MasterCard, VISA, or Discover, in the name of “Wyoming State Board of Nursing”. If you pay the fee using VISA, MasterCard or Discover, an additional fee of $5 will be charged.
- Return the completed form with the fees to the Board office address mentioned above.