Registered Nurse Certification in New Mexico advances the quality and affordable healthcare in the state. The New Mexico Board of Nursing issues the certification which primarily aims at safeguarding the health of the citizens by providing licenses to the nurses and regulating nursing practice.
Requirements for acquiring RN Licensure in New Mexico
The applicants from Non-U.S. nursing programs must meet the following requirements to acquire RN Licensure:
- Complete the application form with the required details.
- Submit an appropriate fee of $110.
- All international aspirants are required to provide evidence verifying successful clearance in any one of the following English competency examinations with minimum scores:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): A minimum score of 540 with 207 (computerized version) or 84 (internet- based test) and a minimum speaking score of 26.OR
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication): a minimum score of 725 overall.OR
- IELTS (International English language testing system): minimum score of 6.5 overall with a 7.0 on spoken section.OR
- Completed nursing program in another country given in English.OR
- Passed any nursing examination in another country given in English.OR
- Possess a certificate from any foreign nursing school or any other agency verifying completion of TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS.
- Provide evidence of graduation from a nursing program that is equivalent to the U.S. approved program by evaluating educational credentials from a qualified credentials evaluator. For this, use the following steps:
- Request the health care or nursing profession to review course-by-course credentials
- Request your nursing school to send your original educational documents directly to the credentialing agency.
- Request your credentialing agency to send the evaluation of educational credentials directly to the New Mexico Board of Nursing.
- Notify the Board for changes relating to the mailing address or name change.
- Provide fingerprint cards to check criminal background history.
Note: Graduates from New Mexico nursing school need to submit certificate of final transcript along with degree directly from the registrar’s office to take the licensing exam, NCLEX-RN.
The requirements for Mexico licensure by endorsement are:
- Submit the application form including all the required details.
- Provide fingerprint cards for criminal background check.
- Successfully completed graduation from a state approved nursing program
- Hold a current license in another U.S. state or territory.
- Must have obtained original license by examination in English.
- All Canadian applicants must have passed the Canadian nursing exam or NCLEX-RN exam in English.
- Submit requisite fee of $110 in the form of U.S. Money Order, Demand Draft or Cashier’s Check made payable to the “NM Board of Nursing”.
- The applicants may apply for a temporary license which is valid for 60 days. An appropriate fee of $50 is charged in addition to the application fee.
- In case of name change, submit the legal documents verifying the change.
- Provide your fixed or permanent address.
- Request your nursing school to provide verification of your licensure directly to the New Mexican Board..
Procedure to Obtain RN License
The step by step procedure to obtain RN certification is given below.
- Download the application form using this link – http://bit.ly/1shuRIV
- Carefully read the instructions on the form.
- The applicants needs to register themselves with Pearson VUE by
- Telephone: 1-866-496-2539
- Online- http://www.pearsonvue.com/nclex/
- Upon completion of registration, an Authorization to Test (ATT) will be received in approximately 4 weeks.
- After receiving the ATT, schedule and take the NCLEX-RN exam.
- Clear the exam with the minimum required score of 70%.
- Return the application form and the documents to the following address:New Mexico Board of Nursing
6301 Indian School Road, NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico-87110
- The application form may be downloaded using this link – http://bit.ly/1nIKEeK
- Read the instructions mentioned on the application form.
- You may download the verification request form by endorsement using this link – http://bit.ly/1kXhYPv
- Submit the application form with the required documents and fee to the Board office address mentioned above.
Verification of RN License
To apply for licensure in any state, the applicants need to verify their licensure. They may use any of the following methods to verify their license.
- Online at – www.nursys.com
- License Lookup – The aspirants may check the updated status of their license using this link – https://www.bon.state.nm.us/lookup.html and retrieve the following information:
- Licensee’s name
- License type
- License number
- Issue date of the license
- List of any disciplinary action taken by the Board.
- Status of the license indicating whether the nurse is eligible to work in a compact state or not, using the New Mexico license.
- By Mail – You may request for verification of licensure by downloading the form through this link – http://bit.ly/U1AHPk
Renewal of RN License
All RNs in New Mexico need to renew their license timely every two years. They are required to complete 30 contact hours of continuing education during these 2 years.
Methods to renew RN license in NM
The applicants may use any of the given methods:
- Online – To renew your license online, follow the below instructions:
- Click on this link – https://mylicensebon.rld.state.nm.us/Login.aspx
- If you are a first time visitor, register yourself by clicking on “Register a Person” under Menu column.
- Enter your user Id and password.
- After logging in, click “Renew License” on the left side of the page.
- The complete information of your license will be provided.
- Select the license which needs renewal.
- After selecting the license, click on “Continue” button.
- Complete all the sections of the renewal process.
- After the completion of all the sections, under menu, a check mark list will appear.
- You may finish the process by paying the renewal fees using Visa or MasterCard.
- By mail – The aspirants may download the paper application for renewal using this link – http://bit.ly/1lGkXfa
The applicants may download the application for re-examination using the following link: