Nursing Scholarships and Grants for RN Program
The profession of nursing is highly demanding and the medical settings require nurses in a large number. This is the major reason behind increasing number of applicants for this rewarding occupation. According to the statistics, registered nursing is claimed to be the second most profound career in the USA. In order to be an RN, aspirants are supposed to obtain nursing degrees. But, for some people a nursing course can be highly expensive and out of reach. They desire to attend college and practice as a registered nurse, but are not able to afford the sky-soaring fees and expenses. In such cases, nursing scholarships and grants come to the rescue of these individuals. The nursing universities and institutes have now introduced many scholarships for such aspirants to enable them to continue their education without any financial impediment. The monetary assistance in the form of grants is also provided by many hospitals and medical settings to help them continue their future education. Certain formalities are to be completed and fulfilled to avail the advantage of these aids.
The procedure to obtain a nursing scholarship can be very difficult and competitive. But, the best feature is that you need not pay it back to the organization. This helps one attain a degree without any worry or hindrance. Some scholarships have their own specific restrictions and formalities to be fulfilled. Overall, this monetary assistance is provided to the qualified and deserving candidates. They ought to show good credentials to obtain this financial help.
Various Nursing Scholarships
Many nursing scholarships are available for the students to enable them to fund their own education and help them become a registered nurse.
- AACN Scholarship
The scholarship of $5,000 is offered by the American Association of Colleges of Nurses (AACN) to those students who wish to pursue graduate and undergraduate nursing courses from AACN affiliated institutions. The students are supposed to submit an application through NursingCAS (https://portal.nursingcas.org/), nursing’s centralized application service, or registered in a nursing school accredited by CertifiedBackground.com. To know in detail about the criteria of scholarship award and download an application, visit http://www.aacn.nche.edu/certifiedbackground
- March of Dimes
The March of Dimes offers scholarship to encourage students to enrol themselves in different maternal-child nursing graduate programs. They provide scholarships worth $5000 each year to help the interested students. It’s mandatory for the candidate to be a member of any of the following organizations: the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, the American College of Nurse-Midwives, the Association of Women’s Health, or Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses. Furthermore, you must not be a previous recipient of this scholarship.
- Health Careers Scholarship
This scholarship is worth $1,000 and it is available for the students with majors in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, and medical technologies. The candidate ought to be a U.S. or Canadian citizen. S/he should be in the final year of college. This scholarship is not available for pre-med students. While requesting for scholarship application don’t forget to include a legal size self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- McKesson Nursing Scholarship
This scholarship is sponsored by McKesson Foundation. Educational scholarships and grants are provided to the children of this foundation’s employees. Over 120 scholarships are awarded to the employees’ children which also includes those who were awarded through the National Merit and Scholarship America programs.
- HSF/ General College Scholarships
HSF/ General College provides scholarships worth $1,000-$5,000. Any citizen of the United States or legal permanent resident possessing a passport or permanent resident card can apply for this specific assistance. The applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0. It’s compulsory for the student to be a full-time student pursuing two- or four-year course at any recognised institution in United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto or Guam. You can apply for this scholarship by completing FAFSA.
- Florence Young Memorial Graduate Scholarships
All the students who are pursuing full-time masters in law, art, or public health can apply for this scholarship. But, they must be belonging to American Indian and/or Alaskan Native descent. The scholarship is worth $1,500. You have to show a blood quantum and certificate of enrolment in order to get this scholarship.
- Madeline Pickett (Halbert) Cogswell Nursing Scholarship
The Madeline Pickett (Halbert) Cogswell Nursing Scholarship is provided to the students who are registered in an approved nursing program. The applicant should be a member, descendant of member or qualified for membership in New York State Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). You will have to provide DAR member number on the application.
- Sequoyah Graduate Scholarships
This scholarship is for all the American Indian and Alaskan Native students who are enrolled in a full-time graduation course. They must be from a federally recognised tribe and also 25% Indian by blood. Those who are interested can apply yearly to obtain this scholarship. One has to provide blood quantum from Bureau of Indian Affairs (B.I.A.) and a certificate of enrolment.
- AORN (Association of PeriOperative Registered Nurses) Foundation
International students or U.S. citizens who are pursuing RN baccalaureate, master or doctoral programs, and having GPA of 3.0 or higher can apply for this scholarship. The prospective candidates should be interested in perioperative or surgical nursing. The candidate will be selected by the foundation after taking into consideration all the aspects.
- SGNA RN Advancing Education Scholarship
This scholarship is meant for those RNs who are working in gastroenterology, and desire to pursue bachelor, master or doctoral degree. You must be enrolled in part- or full-time approved program and should be a member of the SGNA. The scholarship will be awarded if you complete your course with 3.0 GPA.
Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.Show Me Schools!
Various Nursing Grants
There are a lot of nursing grants accessible to the students to support their schooling and facilitate them to turn out to be a registered nurse.
Federal Grants for Nursing Students
Certain grants are provided to the students by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, division of Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
- Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students
This grant is federally funded scholarship program that provides finance to the contributing colleges. This money is expected to be given to the capable and deserving students who are studying in any health science field. Furthermore, this amount is for those students who pursue full-time education and are financially challenged or belong to deprived families or backgrounds. This program provides authority to the schools to determine the eligibility criteria and amount of the grant, but the award may not surpass the entire cost of attending the nursing school.
- Nursing Scholarship Program
Under this program, more than 200 scholarships/grant awards are provided to the talented nursing students every year. Generally, the utmost preference is given to full-time students who indeed require finance to support their further education. All the candidates of associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and diploma levels are eligible to apply for this program. To receive it, you will have to work in Critical Shortage Areas in Health Profession Shortage Areas for 2 years after the completion of your graduation. In return of this commitment, you will receive lab materials, books, paid tuition, fees, and monthly stipend up to or more than $1,000.
- Nursing Education Loan Repayment
It is a repayment program supported by the government that promotes the position of working nurses within the field of health care, especially providing services in Health Profession Shortage Areas. You are supposed to give a commitment to work for two years at Critical Shortage Facilities. In return, out of 85% of your outstanding student loan related to nursing education, the U.S. Government will pay 60%. The remaining 25% loan will be repaid for an additional 3rd year of service. If you are planning to apply then you must own valid nursing license and you must be employed full-time. Students having clean repayment records and outstanding nursing school debt will get maximum benefits of this grant.
- Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program
The Indian Health Service (IHS), a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services administers this nursing student loan repayment program at all the professional stages. All those candidates who are willing to work full-time at IHS funded Indian health programs can get up to $20,000 each year. You are required to provide 2-year service commitment. If you accept this fund, you consent to work within the strictures of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to promote the mission of HIS.
- Military Funding
Aspirants can get military funding through certain plans and programs like the Army Nurse Corps. The eligible candidates can get around $120,000 in loan repayment programs to pursue their education. Sign-up bonuses and special pay are also provided to reserve and active duty nurses/officer.
- Faculty Loan Repayment Program
This federally funded program is meant for deprived faculty in the discipline of nursing, physicians assistant, audiology, optometry, public health and pharmacy. The aspirants who have completed their under graduation, and are registered in a graduate program or completing the final year of graduation in the health care field can apply for it. Each eligible student gets $40,000 in loan repayment. In turn, you have to work as a faculty at recognized universities and colleges. Preference is given to full-time faculty; part-time faculties receive compensation on prorated basis.
State-funded Grants for Nursing Students
States also provide grants to support and finance the education of qualified nursing students who attend state schools.
- Out of many programs, one of the most powerful nursing education funding programs is provided by the Florida’s state schools, particularly after 4 state universities were given HRSA grants.
- About 300 and 400 awards are provided and managed by the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. The results are basically merit-based, and the candidates can get scholarship up to $6,000. Qualified aspirants are expected to be registered full-time in a state recognized 2 or 4 year graduate or undergraduate nursing program.
- All those students who are pursuing their education in those fields that are lacking extremely skilled workers can apply for Maryland Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant Program (WSSAG)
- Under the Indiana Division of Student Financial Aid, nursing students are provided tuition aid if they agree to work for two-year with this division. In return of this service commitment, almost $5000 is awarded to them.
Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.Show Me Schools!
Grants for Minority Nursing Students
There are some nursing school grants which are offered in order to enhance minority representation in the fields of nursing and health science.
- The American Indian Students United for Nursing is administered and sponsored by the Arizona State University. The finance for tuition and other expenses are looked after in this program for bachelor’s and master’s level students. In exchange, you’ll have to provide a service commitment with Indian Health Services, a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- The nursing school funding is provided to the National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) for the Hispanic Americans who have been the part of the organization for a minimum of 6 months before they apply.
Institutional and Organizational Aid for Nursing Students
The nursing school candidates are given financial help by certain high and professional nursing organizations and institutions and this can be availed only by submitting Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Visit https://fafsa.ed.gov/ to submit your application.
- College of Nursing Scholarship can be availed at Washington State University by completing certain formalities and procedures. You have to first file your FAFSA in order to generate your Student Aid Report (SAR). Next submit your SAR and WSU Financial Aid Award Letter. A letter of recommendation, attested by your previous employer or College of Nursing instructor is also required to be submitted along with your nursing scholarship application.
- Bob and Eleanor Grant Trust Fund offers up to $15,000 every year to the eligible students who are pursuing their natural sciences education and are halfway through. The applicants must be living in Washington State and his/her parents could not complete their college education due to financial crisis or other reasons.
- The male nursing education is administered by the American Association of Men in Nursing (AAMN), by providing various funds and finance to support the teaching and schooling of male nurses.
Professional Grants for Nursing Students
There are many nursing students who receive professional grants to continue their advanced education in certain areas of nursing. These are funded by professional associations and organizations.
- The three research-based grants are provided yearly to nurse anesthetists by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA). To apply for this grant, you must be a member of AANA and CRNA-certified.
- There are certain research grants given by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners that promote nurse practitioners.
- The scholarship of $1500 is provided by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses to graduate and undergraduate students who are specializing in critical care. You must be a member of the AACN to receive this grant.
- Many ER nurses get financial help from the Emergency Nurses Foundation Association and the amount may vary as per the funding by sponsors. It is offered at graduate, undergraduate and doctoral levels.
- The scholarships and grants are provided by the Gerontological Society of America to graduate level nurses who conduct research in the field of human aging.