Arizona Food Handlers Card – How to Obtain, Validity, and Replacement

What is Food Handlers Card?

Food handler card is required by those employees who are involved in the food services, i.e., those who cook, serve or sell the food, including those who are engaged in washing the dishes.

The Arizona Nursing Care Institution Administrators Board requires Assisted Living Caregivers and Assisted Living Managers to possess a valid Food Service Worker Card or Food Handlers Card. If you want to work as a Caregiver in the state of Arizona, here is the procedure to obtain it.

How to Obtain a Food Handlers Card?

There are 2 ways to obtain this card in Maricopa County and Arizona. You have to take program, duration of which is around 2-3 hours followed by a 90-minute audio-visual presentation and a test, which you have to pass in order to get the certificate.

The program can be done online or offline depending on your comfort level. There is a state-sponsored State Food Safety sanitation computerized course (online), and if you prefer a classroom course, they are organized by food safety program experts at different locations throughout the valley and the state. The classes are conducted in Spanish and English language.

In the program, you will be taught about the fundamentals of food safety, food borne illness; how it is caused; preventive measures, etc. You have to register yourself for the course.

From Where Can You Get Your Food Handler Card?

After you have successfully completed the program and passed the test from a registered institute (recognized and approved by ANSI), you can obtain the card from any of the regional offices of the Maricopa County Environmental Services Department. You must obtain it within 30 days of the beginning of the employment. You will have to pay $5.00 and provide a valid ID and Certificate of Completion.

Western Regional Office
16140 North Arrowhead Fountain Center Drive
Suite #105
Peoria, Arizona 85382

Northern Regional Office
15023 North 75th Street
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

Central Regional Office
1645 East Roosevelt Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85006

Eastern Regional Office
1255 West Baseline Road
Building C, Suite #270
Mesa, Arizona 85202

Note- You can obtain your card between 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Monday thru Friday). During lunch hours (11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.), the office remains closed.

Validity of the Card

The Food Service Worker Card or Food Handlers Card is valid for 3 years from the date of issue. You will have to take the test again after 3 years to get a new card.

Replacement Card

If, anyhow, you lost your card before expiration or for any reason, you want a replacement/duplicate card; you can obtain it from any of the regional offices upon paying $3.

Note: You will have to show a valid photo identification for obtaining the duplicate card.

quick RN guide links