Registered nurse certification in Hawaii verifies the knowledge, skills and capabilities of a nurse. An RN who possesses licensure receive high salary package, mental satisfaction, career stability and better job opportunities. It provides them with a sense of professional accomplishment and pride. The license in the state is issued by the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division.
Requirements for Obtaining RN Licensure
- Submit completely filled application for license by examination with the required fee in the form of check payable to the “Commerce & Consumer Affairs.”
- Provide your U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) on the licensure application.
- U.S. graduates are required to send any one of the following documents directly to the Board:
- Final official transcript validating the degree conferredOR
- An official letter sent directly from your nursing school indicating the successful completion of your nursing education program.
- If you have completed your graduation from a foreign nursing school, you are required to provide your nursing school transcripts evaluated by the CGFNS (Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools). Request the CGFNS to provide any one of the following reports to you:
- Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Professional Report: It includes full course-by-course report of the education program and does not require any English competency or CGFNS exam.OR
- Certification Program: It requires English competency exam, an education credentials evaluation and the CGFNS exam.
Contact the CGFNS at:
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19104-2651
Web site: http://www.cgfns.org
- Some requisites (I and II) are similar as mentioned in the licensure by examination requirements.
- Pass any one of the following exams:
- NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurse) in any other U.S. state or jurisdiction with a minimum passing score of 1600 or more.OR
- The SBTPE (State Board Test Pool Exam) in another state or Canadian province (before 1970) with a minimum passing score of 350 or more in each part.OR
- A state board constructed examination before the inception of the SBTPE in that jurisdiction.
- Complete graduation from an accredited board-approved associate, bachelor degree or hospital nursing program in the U.S. or United States jurisdiction whose syllabus is recognized by the Hawaii Board of Nursing or any other state board of nursing.
- Foreign school graduates who obtained their license in another U.S. jurisdiction or state, are not necessitated to get their educational credentials evaluated. However, U.S. jurisdiction board of nursing or the original state must approve that the nursing education program from which you have completed your graduation is equivalent to the United State’s accredited nursing education program.Note- If you do not indicate this approval, then get your educational credentials evaluated by the CGFNS (Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools).
- Request your state or territory board of nursing where you were issued your original licensure by examination to provide verification of your educational credentials, exam scores, and out-of-state licensure.If your state of licensure uses NURSYS website, then you can use the following link and request for verification of your licensure:
www.nursys.comYou can also download the verification application using the link below :
Procedure to Obtain RN License
- Through Examination
Follow the below given steps to obtain an RN licensure in the state of Hawaii:Step 1: Download the application form using the link below:
http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/boards/nursing/application_publications/pvl_nursing_exam.pdfStep 2: Carefully go through the instructions mentioned in the form.Step 3: Fill all the details in the form and send it to the following mailing address along with $40 fees and required official documents:
Hawaii Board of Nursing
DCCA, PVL Licensing
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, Hawaii- 96801
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 301
Honolulu, Hawaii- 96801
Step 4: After receiving the complete application and fees, the Board will determine your eligibility for examination.
Step 5: If the Board makes you eligible, you will receive an NCLEX/CAT Candidate Bulletin and registration form via mail.
Step 6: Register for the NCLEX-RN examination with the Pearson VUE Professional Testing. A registration fee of $200 is charged, which can be paid in the form of money order or cashier’s check made payable to the NCSBN (while using paper application) or via Visa, MasterCard, or American Express (while applying online).
You may register online through the following link:
Open the above link and click on “Register” option present on the right hand side.
Step 7: After the NCLEX/CAT Data Center has processed your registration and confirmed your eligibility criteria with the Board, you will receive an ATT (Authorization to Test) with a detailed list of varied number of Testing Centers.
Step 8: Choose the Pearson Professional Center as per your wish and contact to schedule your test appointment.
Step 9: The examination results will be mailed to you by the Board after 2 weeks of taking the test.
- Through EndorsementIf you are applying for licensure by endorsement, then follow the below explained procedure:
- Download the application licensure by endorsement using the following link:http://1.usa.gov/1nnoyjl
- Read the information provided in the form.
- Submit the application form with the applicable fee to the Board office.
Verification of Licensure
You may verify your Hawaii license by using the following link:
If you are applying for a temporary permit, you are required to complete and submit the following:
- Application for licensure by endorsement along with the appropriate fee.
- Copy of a valid U.S. nursing licensure that indicates the license expiration date.
- Original “Verification of Employment” form, which must be duly signed by your employer in the state of Hawaii. You can download the form using the following link:http://1.usa.gov/1pPYNpV
- Evidence of NURSYS verification or verification of license form which includes copy of the cancelled check, receipt of certified mail for the verification fee.
Renewal of RN License
All RN licenses in Hawaii expire on June 30 of every odd-numbered year. Generally, all renewal applications are available about 60 days before the expiration date of the license. If you do not receive notification 30 days before the expiration date, then you must contact the Board office or you can directly pick up the renewal application from the Board office. At present, there are no continuing education requirements to be fulfilled by the candidates.
Click on the following link to renew your Hawaii license online:
In case, you have lost your license or it has been stolen or destroyed, you may apply for a duplicate license. Use the following link to download the application:
Use the following link to download the inactivation application:
Fill this form completely and submit it with a non-refundable fee of $10 (the check must be payable to “Commerce and Consumer Affairs”) to the following address:
PVL Licensing Branch
Commerce & Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, Hawaii- 96801
335 Merchant Street, Room 301
Honolulu, HI 96813