Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in Virginia

How Much Do RNs Make in Virginia?

According to the United States Census Bureau, the population estimate of Virginia in July, 2018 was 8.51 million which was served by 64,750 registered nurses. As per the May 2018 data of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), average registered nurse salary in Virginia was $69,790 per year and $32.69 per hour. Employment per 1000 jobs was about 16.892. As per the statistics of indeed.com, average RN salary in VA as on July 27, 2019 was 6% higher than the national average RN salary and amounted to $34.76 per hour. Indeed has collected this data by actual salary submissions from 1,631 registered nurses working in Virginia at present. Advanced RN programs from approved nursing schools in Virginia may help you boost up your salary figures. Furthermore, earning an RN License in VA will improve your chances of getting a job even more.

Annual RN Salary in Virginia (VA) on Different Percentile Brackets

  • The annual salary of 90% employees was reported to be less than $96,520; the rest 10% were remunerated over $96,520.
  • 75% earned an annual income of less than $80,660; the rest 25% paid more than $80,660.
  • 50% of the registered nurses were offered less than $68,000; 50% were paid over $68,000.
  • 25% of RNs managed to take home below $56,480; while the rest 75% earned over $56,480.
  • 10% received the paycheck of an amount less than $47,890; the rest 90% received more than $47,890.


Percentile Bracket

 Annual Wages

90%

$96,520

75%

$80,660

50%

$68,000

25%

$56,480

10%

$47,890

Information Source- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

RN Salary as per Geographical Location, Virginia

As on June 27, 2019, the median annual salary for a Level 1 Registered Nurse (0-2 years of work experience) was $61,390. The salary range generally falls between  $55,090-$70,900, depending upon many factors such as the city, certifications, additional skills and degree level. Respectively, the median annual salary of a Level 2, Level 3 and Head Nurses in Virginia were $73,282, $85,482 and $106,251, as on June, 2019.  The income of RNs in Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton, and Chesapeake are almost similar. On the other hand, Reston, Centreville, Arlington, Annandale, and Alexandria are among the highest paying cities in Virginia.

Name of the City

Median Annual Salary – RN I

Median Annual Salary – RN II

Median Annual Salary – RN III

Median Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Alexandria, VA

$69,370

$82,811

$96,598

$120,068

Annandale, VA

$69,370

$82,811

$96,598

$120,068

Arlington, VA

$69,370

$82,811

$96,598

$120,068

Centreville, VA

$69,120

$82,513

$96,251

$119,637

Chesapeake, VA

$58,650

$70,013

 $81,669

$101,512

Hampton, VA

$58,430

$69,745

$81,357

$101,124

Lynchburg, VA

$57,190

$68,267

$1,173

$98,981

Newport News, VA

$58,430

$69,745

$81,357

$101,124

Norfolk, VA

$58,730

$70,102

$81,774

$101,642

Petersburg, VA

$61,990

$74,004

$1,328

$107,298

Portsmouth, VA

$58,730

$70,102

$81,774

$101,642

Reston, VA

$69,250

$82,662

$96,424

$119,852

Richmond, VA

$62,520

$74,637

$87,063

$108,217

Roanoke, VA

$57,560

$68,715

$80,155

$99,630

Suffolk, VA

$58,470

$69,799

$81,419

$101,202

Virginia Beach, VA

$59,660

$71,212

$83,068

$103,250

Information Source- Salary.com as of June 27, 2019 (RN-I , RN-II , RN -III , Head Nurse)

Salary of Professionals with Related Job Positions

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

In the field of nursing, the highest paid professionals in Virginia as on July 2019 were Clinical Nurse Specialists and OB/GYN Nurse, who respectively earned $136,953 and $102,147 per year. They were followed by Operating Room Nurses who were salaried $1817 per week. Interventional Radiology Nurses and Dialysis Nurses got $36-37 per hour. Among the lowest earners were Progressive Care Nurses, who took home $1,444 per month.

Registered Nurse Case Manager$67936/year
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1817/week
Interventional Radiology Nurse$36.98/hour
Registered Nurse – Oncology$1736/week
Registered Nurse – Cardiac Electrophysiology Lab$81,599/year
Psychiatric Nurse$97,296/year
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$36.15/hour
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,696/week
Clinical Nurse Specialist$136,953/year
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,709/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$28.55/hour
OB/GYN Nurse$102,147/year
Progressive Care Nurse$1,444/month
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,625/week
Registered Nurse – Home Health$1,609/week

Information Source- indeed.com (as of July 27, 2019)

Other Benefits

Apart from salary, registered nurses get various monetary and non-monetary benefits which are enlisted below:

  • Pension plans
  • Memberships related to the organization
  • Dental coverage
  • Sick leaves
  • Insurances
  • Childcare support
  • Accidental death and dismemberment insurance

Job Outlook

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

According to a survey by the BLS, this occupation will be the fastest developing profession between 2016 and 2026. Furthermore, excellent job prospects and high earning potential makes nursing an amazing vocation for all the aspirants. There are many places where one can find a job as an RN such as private organizations, hospitals, schools, and government organizations. If you want to have a bright career in nursing, you can join RN school to complete specialization in your favorite area of nursing; some of them are – wound and ostomy nursing, cardiac nursing, oncology, orthopedic, labor and delivery, critical care, nephrology, pediatrics, etc.

quick RN guide links