Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in Illinois

The nursing industry always welcomes those RNs, who are ready to surpass others in excellence. An approved RN school plays an important role in making it easy for you to acquire certification in one go. Education level, geographic area, work schedule, number of working hours, expertise, etc., are some aspects that directly or indirectly influence the registered nurse salary in Illinois. As per the BLS, the mean hourly and annual salary, in May 2018, was $35.53 and $73,890, respectively. A total of 129,400 RNs were employed in the state, and employment per 1000 jobs was estimated to be 21.598.

The average hourly RN salary in IL, according to indeed.com, in September 2019, was $33.08, which was 9% higher as compared to the national average salary of a nurse.

Yearly/Annual RN Salary in IL on Different Percentile Brackets


The table shows the earnings of registered nurses at various percentile levels.

  • The yearly earnings of 90% of registered nurses were less than $101,650; while remaining 10% were reported to earn more than $101,650.
  • 75% received an annual income less than $87,420; while 25% got more than $87,420.
  • 50% were offered less than $72,250; whereas the rest of 50% grossed more than $72,250.
  • 25% were paid less than $59,450 per annum; while the remaining 75% were given more than $59,450.
  • 10% of employees were remunerated less than $51,190; 90% were compensated more than $51,190.


Percentile Bracket

Annual Wages

90%

$101,650

75%

$87,420

50%

$72,250

25%

$59,450

10%

$51,190

Information Source- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

Salary as per Geographical Location

The RN salary in Illinois is quite good and satisfactory. Both fresher as well as experienced RNs may get brilliant growth opportunities here. Salary.com report of August 27, 2019 informs that Chicago, Cicero, and Oak Park are the best paying cities in Illinois. On the other hand, the lowest paying cities in IL for Registered Nurse and related professions are Decatur and Springfield.

Name of the City

Average Annual Salary – RN I

Average Annual Salary – RN II

Average Annual Salary – RN III

Average Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Arlington Heights, IL

$64,739

$77,285

$90,155

$112,125

Aurora, IL

$65,783

$78,531

$91,609

$133,933

Bloomington, IL

$59,666

$71,228

$83,090

$103,338

Bolingbrook, IL

 $64,769

$77,320

$90,197

$112,177

Champaign, IL

$58,819

$70,217

$81,910

$101,871

Chicago, IL

$66,370

$79,231

$92,426

$114,949

Cicero, IL

$66,370

$79,231

$92,426

$114,949

Decatur, IL

 $57,856

$69,067

$80,569

$100,203

Des Plaines, IL

$66,194

$79,022

$92,182

$114,645

Elgin, IL

$65,301

$77,955

$90,937

$113,098

Evanston, IL

$66,345

$79,201

$92,391

$114,905

Hoffman Estates, IL

$65,781

$78,528

$91,606

$113,929

Joliet, IL

$64,491

$76,989

$89.810

$111,696

Moline, IL

 $58,307

$69,606

$81,198

$100,985

Mount Prospect, IL

$66,144

$78,962

$92,112

$114,558

Naperville, IL

$65,027

$77,628

$90,555

$112,623

Normal, IL

 $59,918

$71,529

$83,441

$103,775

Oak Lawn, IL

$66,294

$79,141

$92,321

$114,819

Oak Park, IL

$66,370

$79,231

$92,426

$114,949

Orland Park, IL

 $64,228

$76,675

$89,444

$111,240

Palatine, IL

$64,840

$77,405

$90,296

$112,300

Peoria, IL

$60,478

$72,197

$84,221

$104,744

Rock Island, IL

$58,480

$69,812

$81,438

$101,284

Rockford, IL

$61,980

$73,991

$86,313

$107,347

Schaumburg, IL

$65,656

$78,380

$91,433

$113,714

Skokie, IL

$66,345

$79,201

$92,391

$114,905

Springfield, IL

$57,791

$68,990

$80,479

$100,091

Tinley Park, IL

$64,066

$76,481

$89,218

$110,959

Waukegan, IL

$62,591

$74,720

$87,163

$108,404

Wheaton, IL

$65,164

$77,791

$90,746

$112,860

Table Source- salary.com as of August 27, 2019 (RN-I, RN-II, RN-III, Head Nurse)

Salary of Professionals with Similar Job Designations

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

The duties and responsibilities of nurses vary according to their designation. Higher your position will be; the greater would be your responsibilities, and you’ll be paid accordingly. As of September 2019, Interventional Radiology Nurses were the highest paid professionals with a salary of $1,945 per week. On the other hand, Psychiatric Nurses earned $108,267 per annum, whereas Registered Nurse – Home Health was given an hourly wage of $41.38.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$1,487/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$1,405/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1,552/week
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$1,645/week
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,791/week
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,553/week
Interventional Radiology Nurse$1,945/week
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,448/week
Travel Nurse$1,611/week
Progressive Care Nurse$1,186/week
OB/GYN Nurse$1,896/week
Registered Nurse – Oncology$1,795/week
Registered Nurse Manager$76,730/year
Psychiatric Nurse$108,267/year
Registered Nurse – Home Health$41.38/hour

Information Source- indeed.com (as of September 2019)

Other Benefits for RNs

Employers provide numerous perks and benefits, which motivate RNs to perform their duties to the best. These perks include:

  • Adoption assistance/child care
  • Tax saving plans
  • Maternity leaves
  • Long-term disability coverage
  • No-cost life insurance

Job Outlook

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

The technological advancements in the healthcare sector along with the explosion of population and aging nurseforce have increased the demand of registered nurses enormously throughout the USA. Even in Illinois, it is expected that the employment opportunities for RNs will take a high leap by 2016-26, which is beneficial and propitious for the aspirants. According to the Illinois government Nursing Workforce Center survey, Illinois will experience a shortage of 21,000 nurses by the year 2020.

quick RN guide links