Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in North Carolina

How Much Do RNs Make in NC?

North Carolina employed 102,500 RNs in the year 2019.The hourly and yearly mean salary of a registered nurse in North Carolina was $31.18 and $64,850, respectively, as per the information provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) survey report of July 2019. Employment per thousand jobs in the state was 23.384. The hourly RN salary in NC was $31.51, that is 14 percent lower than the National average RN salary as per indeed.com report released on August 8, 2019. In order to practice nursing in the state, it is mandatory for an aspirant to own a license. A candidate needs to pass the NCLEX-RN exam to earn a nursing licensure in NC, which is possible after finishing a degree or diploma course from an accredited nursing school in North Carolina.

Annual RN Salary in North Carolina (NC) on Different Percentile Brackets


The table below shows the salary of an RN on different percentile brackets.

  • 90% of Registered nurses earned an income less than $86,650 per year; while the remaining 10% took more than $86,650.
  • 75% of employees made less than $75,400; 25% made more than $75,400.
  • 50% RNs received an income less than $62,940; the other 50% enjoyed more than $62,940.
  • 25% of employees were salaried less than $52,020; while remaining 75% were salaried more than $52,020.
  • 10% remunerated with a salary less than $46,130; while the remaining 90% were remunerated more than $46,130.


Percentile Bracket

Annual Wages

90%

$86,650

75%

$75,400

50%

$62,940

25%

$52,020

10%

$46,130

Information Source- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

RN Salary in Major Cities of North Carolina

Salary of a nurse depends on various factors such as education level, nurse ranking, certification level, experience, nursing specialty, hours worked and most importantly geographic location. Therefore, the salary of an RN is calculated after considering all the above factors.

According to the salary.com July 30, 2019 report, the cities of Gastonia and Charlotte paid the best salaries to the Registered Nurses, whereas Jacksonville and Fayetteville paid the minimum salaries.

Name of the City

Average Annual Salary – RN I

Average Annual Salary – RN II

Average Annual Salary – RN III

Average Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Asheville, NC

$57,391

$68,516

$79,923

$99,341

Burlington, NC

$59,278

$70,769

$82,550

$102,607

Cary, NC

$59,940

$71,560

$83,473

$103,754

Chapel Hill, NC

$59,406

$70,922

$82,729

$102,829

Charlotte, NC

$61,201

$73,065

$85,228

$105,936

Concord, NC

$59,983

$71,611

$83,533

$103,828

Durham, NC

$59,602

$71,156

$83,002

$103,169

Fayetteville, NC

$57,328

$68,442

$79,836

$99,233

Gastonia, NC

$61,283

$73,163

$85,343

$106,079

Greensboro, NC

$59,540

$71,082

$82,916

$103,062

Greenville, NC

$59,503

$71,037

$82,864

$102,997

Hickory, NC

$60,659

$72,418

$84,474

$104,999

High Point, NC

$60,065

$71,709

$83,647

$103,970

Jacksonville, NC

$56,548

$67,509

$78,748

$97,882

Kannapolis, NC

$59,145

$70,610

$82,365

$102,377

Raleigh, NC

$59,940

$71,560

$83,473

$103,754

Rocky Mount, NC

$59,503

$71,037

$82,864

$102,997

Salisbury, NC

$59,290

$70,784

$82,568

$102,629

Wilmington, NC

$56,985

$68,032

$79,357

$98,639

Wilson, NC

$59,503

$71,037

$82,864

$102,997

Winston Salem, NC

$59,853

$71,455

$83,351

$103,602

Table Source- salary.com as of July 30, 2019 (RN-I, RN-II, RN-III, Head Nurse)

Salary of Similar RN Professionals in NC 

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

There are a number of positions in this sector that involves various Registered Nurses and related occupations. They work according to their positions and perform their roles. So, they are paid as per their job titles.

In North Carolina, Registered Nurse – Endoscopy got the highest weekly salary of $1,569, whereas Progressive Care Nurse received the lowest weekly wage of $440. On the other hand, the top hourly paying profession is Interventional Radiology Nurse receiving $48.31 an hour. The least hourly salary of $31.50 is paid to Registered Nurse Case Manager in North Carolina.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$953/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$1,258/week
Interventional Radiology Nurse$48.31/hour
Registered Nurse – Oncology$1,508/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1,527/week
Psychiatric Nurse$39.90/hour
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$1,712/week
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,569/week
Registered Nurse Case Manager$31.50/hour
Labor and Delivery Nurse$32.81/hour
OB/GYN Nurse$33.96/hour
Travel Nurse$1,482/week
Progressive Care Nurse$440/week
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,538/week
Registered Nurse – Home Health$33.49/hour

Information Source- indeed.com (as of August 12, 2019)

Other Salary Benefits for Registered Nurses in NC

There are many benefits for the registered nurses to ensure a happy and peaceful life for them. They are as follows:

  • Paid holiday
  • Vision Coverage
  • Discounts for cell phones, local establishments and fitness centres
  • Fringe Benefits
  • Tuition reimbursement
  • Medical coverage

Job Outlook for RNs in North Carolina

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

From the time of recession, health care has been the only leading sector for new job prospects, but entering in this world is a hard row to hoe. But once you get entry, there are enormous opportunities in this sector to attain a thriving career. Nurses are required all over the world. Besides, there is a distinctive feature of this field that you can learn while earning which gives a boost to your career. You will be preferred over others if you have better educational background. This means better pay and superior position. Thereafter, you can change your work field and can enter into leadership or management areas of nursing. On the whole, the job opportunities for RNs are most likely to be excellent. The BLS survey report also informs that by 2017 there will be additional need of 438,100 registered nurses to perform in hospitals, nursing homes, and other entities throughout the U.S.

Also Read:

quick RN guide links