Registered Nurse Salary in Minnesota

Nursing is an ever-evolving and a very challenging profession. However, it is rewarding too. There are several pathways to become an RN. It ranges from a diploma to degree. A nursing aspirant must complete his/her education from an approved school and clear the licensing examination. RNs are well-paid for their services. The salary of a registered nurse is affected by a number of factors such as location, experience and the level of education.

According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) May 2018 survey, the mean annual wage of RN was $78,920, and hourly mean wage was $37.94. Employment per 1000 jobs was 24.061 and, 69,000 RNs were employed in the state in 2018. As per, the registered nurse average hourly salary in MN was $31.87 (as of September 19, 2019). The salary figures  in Minnesota near to the national average registered nurse salary.

Yearly/Annual RN Salary in Minnesota  (MN) on Different Percentile Brackets

The table below explains the percentile income estimated for Registered Nurses. The income of RN varies at different percentile levels.

  • 90% of RNs were paid less than 102,680; 10% were paid more than 102,680.
  • 75% of registered nurses made less than $92,660; the remaining 25% made more than $92,660.
  • 50% of the employees earned less than $77,940; the rest of 50% earned more than $77,940.
  • 25% of RNs were offered annual wages less than $66,530; 75% were offered more than $66,530.
  • 10% of employees earned less than $56,150; 90% earned more than $56,150.

Percentile Bracket

Annual Wages











Information Source- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

Salary as per Geographical Location

The geographical locations play a vital role in terms of calculating salary. The salary of a registered nurse varies from state to state. According to August 27, 2019 report, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, and Saint Paul are the best paying cities in Minnesota for Registered Nurse and various job positions associated with it. The cities that offer minimum are Saint Cloud and Duluth. The salary for level I RNs varies from $59,062 to $66,589, whereas the Head Nurse wages range between $102,293 and $115,328 in MN.


Average Annual Salary – RN I

Average Annual Salary – RN II

Average Annual Salary – RN III

Average Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Burnsville, MN





Duluth, MN





Eden Prairie, MN





Lakeville, MN





Minneapolis, MN





Minnetonka, MN





Rochester, MN





Saint Cloud, MN





Saint Paul, MN





Information Source- as of August 27, 2019 (RN-I, RN-II, RN-III, Head Nurse)

Salary of Professionals Holding Related Job Positions

The job titles and its duties are based on the type of specialization attained. This may vary from critical care nurses to neonatal nurses, and each of them have their respective work schedule and responsibilities. Registered Nurse – Operating Room earned the highest weekly income of $1,935, while Psychiatric Nurse were paid the highest annual pay of $ 108,895. Similarly, the most hourly income of $34.84 was obtained by Progressive Care Nurse. Here is a list of other job titles in nursing along with their specific salary in Minnesota.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$1,498/week
Registered Nurse – Oncology$1,436/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1,935/week
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$1,469/week
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,619/week
Interventional Radiology Nurse$1,721/week
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,744/week
Travel Nurse$1,652/week
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,855/week
Registered Nurse – Home Health$86,638/year
Psychiatric Nurse$108,895/year
Registered Nurse Manager$68,106/year
OB/GYN Nurse$85,475/year
Progressive Care Nurse$34.84/hour
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$22.28/hour

Information Source- (as of September 2019)

Other Benefits

The other benefits are given to the nurses, in order to ensure that they lead a good and satisfactory lifestyle with their respective families. They might include-

  • Pension benefits
  • Vision coverage
  • Adoption support
  • Bonus
  • Various forms of allowances
  • Loans

Job Outlook

The employment opportunities are expected to increase everywhere in the state, even in the rural areas and medically underserved cities. The profession of registered nurses is enlisted in the top 10 occupations which offer the maximum number of job openings. According to Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)’s Employment Outlook tool, over 20,000 new RN positions will be available between 2014 and 2024. RN occupation is reliable and always in demand because medical processes like giving birth to babies, operations and surgeries, treatments and assessment of old patients will always be conducted. All the nurses have to be very efficient to meet the technical demands of this occupation.

quick RN guide links