Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in New York

How Much Do RNs Make in New York?

A survey conducted by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reveals that the mean wage of a registered nurse in New York was $85,610 and mean hourly salary was $41.16 in May 2018. New York employed 182,490 RNs in May 2018. Employment per 1000 jobs was 19.444. The average hourly pay of a Registered Nurse in New York was $41.01.

The figures in indeed.com reveal that the average RN salary in NY was around $32.43 per hour as of July 25, 2019, which meets the National average registered nurse salary. It also states that the RNs in NY take home an overtime pay of $13500/year on an average. This salary estimate has been taken from the salaries submitted by around 4500 registered nurses, who work in New York state at present.

The data above shows evidently that nursing is a rewarding career to pursue if you stay in New York. However, aspirants must clear the NCLEX-RN exam for earning a licensure in NY before practicing this profession. But, in order to outshine this exam, candidates must join an accredited nursing school in NY that offers a complete RN program including practical sessions.

Annual RN Salary in New York (NY) on Different Percentile Brackets


The table below provides an estimate of registered nurses annual salary on different percentile brackets.

  • 90% of RNs made less than $1,20,890 annually; while the remaining 10% enjoyed more than $1,20,890.
  • 75% of registered nurses were offered an amount less than $1,01,440; whereas the remaining 25% were offered more than $1,01,440.
  • 50% earned less than $85,300; the other 50% earned more than $85,300.
  • 25% of employees were given less than $67,300; while remaining 75% were given more than $67,300.
  • 10% of RNs remunerated with an amount less than $55,450; while the remaining 90% were remunerated more than $55,450.

 

Percentile Bracket

Annual Wages

Hourly Wages

90%

$1,20,890

$58.12

75%

$1,01,440

$48.77

50%

$85,300

$41.01

25%

$67,300

$32.36

10%

$55,450

$26.66

Information Source- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

RN Salaries in Major Cities of New York

Before you begin your job hunt, you should know the best paying cities of New York. Although, a number of metropolises in NY remunerate RNs with lucrative pays, but you can select the best among them as the cost of living of your region significantly affects your pay. According to the statistics of salary.com July 30, 2019 report, Bronx, Brooklyn, and NYC paid highest salaries to Staff Nurses, while James Town paid the minimum.

As of July 30, 2019, the average salary of a Level 1 Registered Nurse in NY with an experience of 0-2 years was $67,040 per year, according to Salary.com. The stats by the same site shows that the RN salary for level 2, level 3 and Head Nurses were $80,040, $93,400 and $116,039 per year respectively, as on July 2019.

The below report of salary.com shows the average annual salary of Level 1, 2, 3 staff RNs and Head Nurses in various cities of New York.

Name of the City

Average Annual Salary  (RN-I)

Average Annual Salary (RN-II)

Average Annual Salary (RN-III)

Average Annual Salary (Head Nurse)

Albany, NY

$63,870

$76,260

$89,000

$110,556

Binghamton, NY

$60,220

$71,890

$83,900

$94,841

Brentwood, NY

$67,520

$80,610

$94,100

$116,872

Bronx, NY

$75,600

$90,260

$105,300

$130,855

Brooklyn, NY

$75,600

$90,260

$105,300

$130,855

Buffalo, NY

$59,750

$71,330

$83,300

$103,421

Clay, NY

 $61,860

$73,850

$86,200

$107,063

Hempstead, NY

$67,570

$80,660

$94,100

$116,947

Henrietta, NY

$62,000

$74,020

$86,400

$107,312

Huntington, NY

$71,270

$85,080

$99,300

$123,350

Jamestown, NY

$58,860

$70,270

$82,000

$101,883

Levittown, NY

$67,570

$80,660

$94,100

$116,947

Mount Vernon, NY

$71,990

$85,940

$100,300

$124,601

Nassau, NY

$67,570

$80,660

$94,100

$116,947

New Rochelle, NY

$71,380

$85,220

$99,400

$123,551

New York, NY

$75,600

$90,260

$105,300

$130,855

Niagara Falls, NY

$59,630

$71,190

$83,100

$103,204

Poughkeepsie, NY

$67,290

$80,340

$93,800

$116,472

Queens Village, NY

$74,350

$88,760

$103,600

$128,692

Rochester, NY

 $62,000

$74,020

$86,400

$107,312

Schenectady, NY

$63,250

$75,510

$88,100

$109,478

Staten Island, NY

$70,100

$83,690

$97,700

$121,338

Syracuse, NY

$61,860

$73,850

$86,200

$107,063

Troy, NY

$63,510

$75,820

$88,500

$109,918

Utica, NY

$59,830

$71,430

$83,400

$103,559

White Plains, NY

$72,000

$85,960

$100,300

$124,629

Yonkers, NY

$72,020

$85,980

$100,300

$124,655

Information Source- Salary.com (as of July 30, 2019) – RN- I , RN-II , RN-III , Head Nurse

Salary of Different Nursing Professionals in New York

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

A Registered Nurse performs duties as per his/her designation. Therefore, they are salaried according to the level of a hierarchy. The statistics of Indeed.com as on July 2019, shows that Operating Room Nurses made more money, i.e. $1946 per week, when compared to other nursing personnel. The lowest paid professionals were Pediatric Nurse and Progressive Care Nurse who make $2439 and 1531 per month respectively.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$1,629/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$2,439/month
Interventional Radiology Nurse$50.23/hour
Registered Nurse – Oncology$1,848/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room $1,946/week
Psychiatric Nurse$108,052/year
Registered Nurse – Dialysis $1,929/week
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,760/week
Clinical Nurse Manager$98,822/year
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,844/week
OB/GYN Nurse$43.18/hour
Travel Nurse$1,772/week
Progressive Care Nurse$1,531/month
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,787/week
Registered Nurse – Home Health$78,449/year

Information Source- indeed.com (as of July 26, 2019)

Other Benefits for RNs in NY

The certain benefits that are given to the registered nurses as reward and advantage are given below:

  • Fringe Benefits
  • Experience credit
  • Pension credit
  • Extra Bonus
  • Paid education leave
  • Disability insurance
  • Childcare support

Job Outlook for RNs in New York

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

In today’s era, nurses are honoured and esteemed members of the health care department who convey their body of information and awareness for the evolution of health care sector. The whole medical system can’t even think of its existence without the workforce of nurses.

According to the BLS reports as of May 2018, among the 12 metropolitan regions in NY, the New York-Newark-Jersey City area had 37,070 LPNs, 13,470 nurse practitioners, 99,940 nursing assistants, 202,660 home health aides and 176,780 RNs were employed. In New York-Jersey City-White Plains division of these areas,  75% of these employments were located. The mean annual wage of Registered Nurses in the New York-Newark-Jersey City metropolitan areas was $91,160 per year, which is above National average.

Also Check Out:

Nursing Programs in NYC, New York

quick RN guide links