Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in New Jersey

How Much Do RNs Make in NJ?

As per the data of BLS, the average annual and per hour RN salary was $82,750 and $39.78, respectively, in May 2018. The nurses employed by the state, in May 2018, were 79,530. Employment per 1000 jobs was 19.636.

According to the figures in indeed.com (as of August 12, 2019), the average RN salary in NJ was $36.30 per hour, which was 8% higher than the national average nursing salaries of these employees throughout the country. If you wish to pursue this career, you first need to undergo the registered nurse program at an accredited nursing school in New Jersey that will clear the way towards your RN certification in NJ.

Annual RN Salary in New Jersey (NJ) on Different Percentile Brackets


The Registered Nurse Salary on different percentile brackets.

  • 90% of RNs made a yearly income less than $106,790; while the remaining 10% were made more than $106,790.
  • 75% were remunerated with an amount less than $96,330; 25% were remunerated more than $96,330.
  • 50% were salaried less than $81,820; the other 50% were salaried more than $81,820.
  • 25% of registered nurses received annual wages less than $69,890; while the remaining 75% received more than $69,890.
  • 10% of RNs were paid less than $59,930; 90% were paid more than $59,930.


Percentile Bracket

Annual Wages

90%

$106,790

75%

$96,330

50%

$81,820

25%

$69,890

10%

$59,930

Information Source- Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

RN Salary in Major Cities of New Jersey

According to the salary.com July 30, 2019 report, the cities of Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, and West New York paid the highest salary to the Registered Nurses in New Jersey. In the same period, the city that provided the minimum salary was Vineland. It is plausible that numerous cities in New Jersey offer a lucrative salary to RN. So, if you wish to work in this state, there is a wide range of options.

Name of the City

Average Annual Salary – RN I

Average Annual Salary – RN II

Average Annual Salary – RN III

Average Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Atlantic City, NJ

$67,350

$80,406

$93,791

$116,580

Bayonne, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Bergenfield, NJ

$71,973

$85,925

$100,230

$124,582

Bloomfield, NJ

$72,035

$86,000

$100,3217

$124,691

Camden, NJ

$67,225

$80,56

$93,617

$116,363

Clifton, NJ

$72,035

$86,000

$100,317

$124,691

East Brunswick, NJ

$72,385

$86,417

$100,804

$125,296

East Orange, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Edison, NJ

$70,099

$83,688

$97,620

$121,338

Elizabeth, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Hackensack, NJ

$71,973

$85,925

$100,230

$124,582

Hoboken, NJ

$75,597

$90,251

$105,276

$130,855

Irvington, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Jersey City, NJ

$75,597

$90,251

$105,276

$130,855

Lakewood, NJ

$71,159

$84,953

$99,096

$123,173

Middlesex, NJ

$70,099

$83,688

$97,620

$121,338

New Brunswick, NJ

$72,385

$86,417

$100,804

$125,296

Newark, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Paramus, NJ

$72,098

$86,074

$100,404

$124,799

Passaic, NJ

$72,035

$86,000

$100,317

$124,691

Paterson, NJ

$72,035

$86,000

$100,317

$124,691

Perth Amboy, NJ

$70,099

$83,688

$97,620

$121,338

Plainfield, NJ

$70,099

$83,688

$97,620

$121,338

Sayreville, NJ

$72,385

$86,417

$100,804

$125,296

Somerset, NJ

$71,723

$85,627

$99,882

$124,150

Toms River, NJ

$70,142

$83,739

$97,680

$121,413

Trenton, NJ

$70,598

$84,284

$98,316

$122,203

Union, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Union City, NJ

$75,597

$90,251

$105,276

$130,855

Vineland, NJ

$66,975

$79,958

$93,269

$115,931

Wayne, NJ

$72,035

$86,000

$100,317

$124,691

West New York, NJ

$75,597

$90,251

$105,276

$130,855

West Orange, NJ

$71,348

$85,179

$99,360

$123,501

Information Source- salary.com as of July 30, 2019 (RN-I, RN-II, RN-III, Head Nurse)

Salary of  Other RN Professionals in NJ

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

The salary of a professional majorly depends upon the nature of your work and the responsibilities you hold. These both depend upon your designation. As of August 16, 2019, the state offered the highest weekly average salary of $2,808 to Interventional Radiology Nurses. The most average hourly income of $41.19 is earned by Registered Nurse – Pediatrics. The pays of various professions related to Registered Nurse vary as per the job roles.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$1,703/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$41.19/hour
Interventional Radiology Nurse$2,808/week
Registered Nurse – Oncology$2,379/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1,984/week
Psychiatric Nurse$112,986/year
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$1,807/week
Endoscopy Nurse$2,306/week
Clinical Nurse Manager$80,427/year
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,904/week
Registered Nurse Case Manager$79,275/year
Travel Nurse$1,799/week
Progressive Care Nurse$35.60/hour
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,791/week
Registered Nurse – Home Health$38.60/hour

Information Source- indeed.com (as of August 16, 2019)

Other Salary Benefits for Nurses in NJ

There are certain benefits mentioned below which are given to the registered nurses, in order to satisfy their living standard. These benefits help them at the time of illness, travel, maternity, etc.

  • Vision and dental coverage
  • Financial aid for further studies
  • Refreshments
  • Benefits while traveling
  • At the time of pregnancy

Job Outlook for RNs in New Jersey

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

The nursing sector is thriving rapidly. Hence, the demand for registered nurses is increasing. There is high scope of employment, for fresher and experienced nursing personnel. According to the HRSA Health Workforce demand and supply projection report of July 21, 2017, New Jersey will face shortage of RN in 2030. The state will face deficit of 11,400 FTEs. Nurses can obtain higher level positions by taking advanced courses. The overall angle comes out to be exceptional, and there is no disbelief that one can have great opportunities in nursing in New Jersey.

Also Read:

quick RN guide links