Find RN schools and get information on the program Show Me Schools

Registered Nurse Salary in Pennsylvania

In May 2018, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Pennsylvania was the fifth state with the highest employment level, i.e. 148,520, for the RNs which represented 25.397 per 1000 jobs. The mean yearly registered nurse salary in Pennsylvania was $70,390 which was equivalent to $33.84 mean hourly wage. The median per hour wage amounted to $33.26.

The average hourly RN salary in PA was $33.77 as stated by indeed.com (as of September 1, 2019). The salary figures were 7% above National average Nurse salaries for registered nurses. Aspirants need to complete the RN program of requisite hours from a recognized school and qualify the state licensing exam to acquire certification, to get an entry-level nursing job.

Yearly RN Salary in Pennsylvania (PA) on Different Percentile Brackets


The table shows the earnings of registered nurses at various percentile levels.

  • The annual wages of 90% of RNs was less than $95,580; while remaining 10% enjoyed more than $95,580.
  • 75% of registered nurses got less than $80,610; the remaining 25% received more than $80,610.
  • 50% made less than $69,170; whereas other 50% earned more than $69,170.
  • 25% of RNs were reported to be paid less than $58,430; while the rest 75% were salaried more than $58,430.
  • 10% of employees were provided less than $51,950; 90% were remunerated more than $51,950.


Percentile Bracket

 Annual Wages

90%

$95,580

75%

$80,610

50%

$69,170

25%

$58,430

10%

$51,950

Information Source- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2018)

Salary on the Basis of Geographical Location

A huge variation in the pay of these professionals can be seen in different regions of the same state. According to the salary.com August 27, 2019 report, the cities that offered highest salaries to Registered Nurses and related job positions were Doylestown, and Levittown. The cities that paid minimum salary during this period was Erie, Johnstown, Scranton, and Wilkes Barre.

Name of the City

Average Annual Salary – RN I

Average Annual Salary – RN II

Average Annual Salary – RN III

Average Annual Salary – Head Nurse

Allentown, PA

$62,425

$74,522

$86,932

$108,117

Altoona, PA

$58,981

$70,411

$82,137

$102,153

Bethlehem, PA

$62,425

$74,522

$86,932

$108,117

Doylestown, PA

$70,544

$84,214

$98,239

$122,179

Easton, PA

$62,325

$74,402

$86,793

$107,943

Erie, PA

$57,835

$69,043

$80,541

$100,168

Greensburg, PA

$59,742

$71,319

$83,196

$103,470

Harrisburg, PA

$60,960

$72,773

$84,892

$105,579

Johnstown, PA

$57,829

$69,036

$80,532

$100,157

Lancaster, PA

 $61,342

$73,229

$85,424

$106,241

Lebanon, PA

$61,298

$73,176

$85,363

$106,165

Levittown, PA

$70,753

$84,463

$98,529

$122,540

Philadelphia, PA

$67,259

$80,292

$93,664

$116,489

Pittsburgh, PA

$61,674

$73,625

$85,886

$106,816

Reading, PA

 $62,106

$74,141

$86,488

$107,564

Scranton, PA

$57,792

$68,991

$80,480

$100,092

State College, PA

$58,606

$69,962

$81,614

$101,502

Stroudsburg, PA

$64,451

$76,940

$89,753

$111,625

West Chester, PA

$66,620

$79,530

$92,774

$115,383

Wilkes Barre, PA

$57,641

$68,811

$80,271

$99,832

Williamsport, PA

$59,641

$71,198

$83,055

$103,295

York, PA

$61,066

$72,900

$85,040

$105,764

Table Source- salary.com as of August 27, 2019 (RN-I, RN-II, RN-III, Head Nurse)

Salary of Professionals with Related Job Titles

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

According to the statistics of indeed.com, people with diverse job titles in the nursing field got a different amount of paycheck depending on their nature of work and responsibilities. For instance, Labor and Delivery Nurse and Travel Nurse received a weekly salary of $1,762 and $1,759 respectively in Pennsylvania. Coming to the hourly salary, Psychiatric Nurse gets the most salary of 42.66 per hour. Similarly, Registered Nurse Manager earns an annual salary of $77,683.

Registered Nurse – Medical/Surgical$1,381/week
Registered Nurse – Pediatrics$1,072/week
Registered Nurse – Operating Room$1,396/week
Registered Nurse – Dialysis$1,536/week
Registered Nurse – Endoscopy$1,670/week
Registered Nurse – ICU$1,407/week
Interventional Radiology Nurse$848/week
Labor and Delivery Nurse$1,762/week
Travel Nurse$1,759/week
Registered Nurse Manager$77,683/year
Progressive Care Nurse$35.64/hour
OB/GYN Nurse$36.55/hour
Psychiatric Nurse$42.66/hour
Registered Nurse – Home Health$35.14/hour
Registered Nurse – Oncology$35.28/hour

Information Source- indeed.com (as of September 1, 2019)

Other Benefits

The motive behind providing additional benefits is to enhance the living standard of the registered nurses and augment their commitment and motivation. These benefits may include-

  • Disability insurance
  • Child care support
  • Various memberships related to the organization
  • Maternity leave
  • Leave benefits
  • Dental coverage

Job Outlook

Let us find you the nearest RN school in your state.

Show Me Schools!

Due to the growth and development in the field of nursing, additional nurses are required in various areas of the health care sector. As an RN, you get opportunities to make a difference in the lives of the people and work in different areas of the country. The future prospects seem to be excellent for both full-time and part-time registered nurses.

Retirement of nurses, easy availability of health services, and increase in the aging population are some of the reasons that are likely to create 438,100 new jobs nationally for these professionals in the approaching years as per the BLS 2017 report. Residential care facilities and outpatient care centers will also witness remarkable demand for RNs.

According to the Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education report, Registered Nurse job is one of the key skilled high demand occupations in the state, and there will be 51,900 new and replacement jobs in this category in PA between 2014-2024.

quick RN guide links